Defense Credit Unions Thank our Military for Their Service
Friday, May 22, 2020
by Brittany Boccher, DCUC Special Projects Coordinator
As a nation of nearly 329 million people, only 1 in 162 serve in the United States military. According to the Department of Defense, 1.3 million Americans serve on active duty with another 800,000 serving in the reserves. This results in less than 1% of the US population serving our great nation and is a major part of what makes the defense credit unions mission of serving those who serve our country so special.
It takes a special kind of credit union to serve the military, DoD civilian personnel, veterans, and their families, and such service requires demonstrating the “people helping people” motto above and beyond the normal call of duty.
We, as a Nation, owe a gratitude of thanks to our military regardless of their era of service, branch of service, active or non-active status, and defense credit unions are no stranger to showing gratitude both verbally and by putting their words into actions. These actions can include:
- Encouraging Financial Education – Defense credit unions provide critical financial readiness education to service members and their families. In fact, financial education is part of every defense credit union’s agreement when they sign on to serve their installation. It is in the very fabric of their service.
- Promoting Leadership - Many defense credit unions financially support the graduation ceremonies of Airmen Leadership School (ALS) and other military leadership courses as a way to show appreciation for those service members who are training to become leaders in the United States military.
- Engaging in National Partnerships – By partnering with national nonprofits, defense credit unions help boost the morale and welfare of service members and their families. Such partnerships include the National Military Family Association and Blue Star Families in order to provide FREE museum partnerships and tickets to sporting events.
- Promoting Tradition - Defense credit unions support annual military balls that celebrate the service branch anniversaries and foster camaraderie and spirit de corps among service members.
- Recognizing Military Children – Defense credit unions recognize the sacrifices made by military children and sponsor programs such as the Armed Services YMCA as a way to enhance the lives of military members and their families by providing youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility programs.
- Supporting Military Installation Events – Defense credit unions assist financially where possible to bring morale boosting events to their communities. Events such as annual Air Shows encourage the military community and the local civilian community to come together as one.
Credit unions see themselves as integral to the fabric of the communities they serve, and credit unions that serve the Armed Services are no different. Defense Credit Unions pride themselves on promoting the morale and welfare of our military and meet our members where they are, especially our military service members, while maintaining the highest of standards by truly “Serving Those Who Serve Our Country.”